I had my previous laptop, a Dell Latitude D630, since 2007. As I have started working from home lately, I decided it was a good time to replace it, in case it decided to die completely.
I got a Vostro 3590 and proceeded to install Xubuntu 18.04 on it (I like XFCE's simplicity).
Everything worked pretty much out of the box, but here are a few notes with a couple of details.
Encrypted /home partition
I installed the entire OS into an encrypted partition. The way Xubuntu does it,
is it creates a huge
/, a very small swap one (around 750 MB) and no
The way I fixed it is, for the swap, I'm just using a swapfile. There are many
tutorials around on how to do this, like this
In order to have an independent
/home partition I followed this
Just the commands from there:
# decrypt sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p3 ubuntu-vg # Now resize the root partition to 100GB. sudo e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root 90G sudo lvreduce -L 100G /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root # create /home sudo lvcreate -n home -l 100%FREE ubuntu--vg sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-home # move old /home from / to /home mkdir root sudo mount /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root root mkdir home sudo mount /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-home home rsync -av root/home/ home/
Then add the relevant entry to
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-home /home ext4 defaults 0 2
Please note that in Xubuntu the volume is called
xubuntu-vg, so everything has
to be renamed. Other than that, everything works fine.
Intel graphics card and tearing
I noticed quite heavy screen tearing (for example, in this
video), so I started looking for
ways to fix it. I went through a lot of dead ends, including using the
driver (see here, for instance), but that
didn't work that well, as those drivers are old and the
modesetting ones are
In the end, it turned out that I just needed a proper compositing window manager
along with XFCE (the one that comes with it doesn't work that well). This did
but I didn't need the entire config file, apart from the
From time to time, Bluetooth audio gets choppy for a fraction of a second. The solution I found to this was to increase the delay for the audio device, as detailed here. Briefly:
pactl list | grep -Pzo '.*bluez_card(.*\n)*' pactl set-port-latency-offset bluez_card.DC_D3_A2_B4_C8_BA headphone-output 50000 sudo service bluetooth restart